Monday 6 August 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I recently finished reading The Hunger Games series which consists of three books including, 'The Hunger Games', 'Catching Fire' and 'Mockingjay'. After watching the movie I went out and bought the books, which I highly recommend if you want an action-packed read! I will be talking about the first book, 'The Hunger Games'. The book consists of chapters and is set out in three sections (Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3). It is really easy to read and the cliffhangers at the end of each chapter make it hard to put the book down! You will enjoy this book if you like a thought-provoking read. The story is set in the future within the country of Panem (formerly North America) after war has wiped out most of the Earth's inhabitants. The ideas put forth by Collins reflect the notion of reality television in America and people's willingness to watch people do just about anything for 'entertainment'. If you watch, or have ever watched, 'Big Brother', The Hunger Games is contextually similar except the tributes (contestants) are all children who are fighting to the death on live TV. It is written in first person from the perspective of the protagonist, Katniss Everdeen who is a tribute in the games. I think that this book would be most suited to young adolescent students aged 12 and up. Regardless of whether you enjoy reading or not, I guarantee that you will become transfixed by The Hunger Games. It would be a great book to study as a whole class (middle/secondary school level) in regards to the complex themes and ideas that Collins subtly discusses. I also highly reccommend the movie!

Kirsty
http://www.suzannecollinsbooks.com/ - Suzanne Collins' website

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgssLmsOa2s  - The movie trailer

PS. I posted this last week, but it somehow posted as a draft. So I've fixed it and it's come up now. I was so confused when I didn't see this on the blog!!



No comments:

Post a Comment